An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Father died, mother denied custody

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frustratedgramma

State or Province: Florida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Father died, mother denied custody Reply with quote

First of all, I should tell you, I am not the "mom", but the maternal grandmother. I am joining you/hoping for some support on behalf of my very frustrated daughter. My daughter was never married to her son's father. They lived together until the baby was a year old. When they decided to split, my daughter left, with her son. She was going to school full time, and working full time to support her and her son. They were living with my sister and her family, and they were watching the baby while my daughter was not home. "Dad" said he had rights, that she couldn't let anyone else watch my grandson if he was available. He was very emotionally abusive, and, of course, my daughter believed him. He began keeping my grandson more and more, and finally convinced my daughter that their son would be better off with dad. She signed papers giving him physical custody. She saw her son as often as possible/permitted. In Feb this year, dad died unexpectedly. When my daughter went over to paternal grandmother's to get her son, she wouldn't give him up! P. grandmother managed to get temporary custody hearing without my daughter knowing the actual court date. We appealed, but lost. We even had witnesses that testified that sheriff didn't tell her of a date, and there was no date on paperwork! Long story short, we are still trying, but very discouraged. Daughter has job, apartment, no drugs, no "addictions" of any kind, no criminal record..it's all so frustrating! The maternal side of the family has not been allowed to see my grandson for nearly 3 years now! She has been allowed to have visitation for 10 hrs/week, however, not at her apartment! Any hope?? Thank you!
Sterling

State or Province: Texas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any hope? Your daughter needs to stop blaming everyone else for her mistakes. She gave her child away to the father. It doesn't matter if the father pushed her to do it, she made that choice all on her own.

My suggestion, your dd needs to get a good lawyer and fight for her rights and keep on fighting if she wants her child back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: